Monday, November 1, 2010

Mocha Cup Cakes



I took this photo on my phone, as my middle daughter had taken ours on her school trip. I wanted to show the mess I normally bake in.

Even my children who hate coffee love these.

175g/6oz Self-raising flour
50g/2oz cocoa powder (choose a good one like Green and Blacks)
225g/8oz soft brown sugar or golden granulated sugar
175g/6oz melted butter
4 eggs, separated
60ml/2 fl oz cooled, strong coffee
3 tbsp water

Coffee Butter Icing

100g/3 1/2 oz softened butter
200g/7oz icing sugar, sifted
3 - 4 tbsp cooled strong coffee.

Makes 12

Heat oven to 190 °C/375 °F/GM5

Method

Sift flour and cocoa together into a bowl
Add sugar and mix
Beat in melted butter, egg yolks, coffee and water until smooth
In a separate, clean bowl whisk egg whites until you have soft peaks.
Fold egg whites into the cake mixture until there are no lumps
Put large spoonfuls of mixture into paper muffin cups
Bake for 15 min

Butter icing:

Using a wooden spoon soften butter in a bowl
Add sifted icing sugar
Stir adding coffee until mixture is smooth
Pipe onto cakes.




(Adapted from "Bake" by Rachel Allen)

No comments:

Post a Comment