Monday, November 22, 2010

Menu and shopping list Saturday 20th November - Friday 26th November





This week's spend is €154.77.

This week my husband offered to do the shopping as I was busy on Saturday morning.  This meant that my shopping list had to be written clearly for his benefit, although he still missed a few items due to my "atrocious" handwriting.  He did a great job, but my problem is that my shopping list has about 80% of the things I need on it and then the other 20% I remember when I get there.  Consequently I have been to Dunnes twice since the first shop. 
On the offers front I was taken in by Dunnes' Palmolive liquid soap offer.  It was 4 bottles for €4 which seems excellent value until you realise that both Aldi and Lidl do bigger bottles for €0.99.  I don't always feel the need to buy branded items but I fell into this trap.
I wanted to buy my chicken from Garetts butchers but I dropped by on Thursday to his Castletroy shop, but he had no whole chickens due until later that day.  On Saturday afternoon my husband dropped by the Dooradoyle shop for a chicken and they had none.  We were advised to email or phone ahead.  I think Garretts is a great butchers, but I suppose that since I am not in the market for all his beautiful, dressed meats I am not the typical customer.  I want meat to make stock from and to cook in stews, etc at home.  So Dunnes got our custom for their free-range chickens.  We looked out for chickens supplied by our friends, but they were not in this weekend.
It was Stir Sunday this weekend and I made our Christmas cake, plus 3 small ones in baked bean cans.  I should have made the Christmas pudding as well, but that will wait until another weekend.  Anyway all the family plus some friends who dropped by coffee had a stir and made a wish.
Menu

Saturday: Cauliflower Cheese and Mashed Potato

Sunday: Roast Chicken, Potatoes, Swede, Carrots and Leeks. Omena pullat (apple rolls). Christmas Cake


Tuesday: Sweet Potato Soup and Spelt Rolls.

Wednesday: Easy Vegetable Curry. Chicken pasties for lunch boxes

Thursday: Pork Meatballs and Mash, Banana Bread

Friday: American Bucatini and Salad


2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of the tradition 'Stir and make a wish'. Wonderful - working and wishing!

    Lovely to meet you at the Milk Market too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We still have more wishes to come as I didn't get round to making our Christmas pudding. Your salted caramels were to die for. I didn't tell the children about them! Great to meet.

    ReplyDelete