Monday, November 8, 2010

Menu and shopping list Saturday 30th October - Friday 5th November




I did a bit more baking this week, which I always enjoy.  I saw some sad looking bananas in Dunnes going cheap and used those along with a few over-ripe ones in my fruit bowl to make 2 banana cakes.  I added chocolate chips to one and walnuts to the second.  I also used up some other fruit that had been sitting in my fruit bowl for a while, including a mango, some kiwi fruits and an orange.  These were added to frozen raspberries, a banana, some yoghurt and orange juice to make a smoothie.  I tried freezing it for a change.  The children liked it, but I didn't think it tasted as good.  Both the smoothie and the banana cake are a great way of making use of fruit that is past its best.
Friday was mad in our house.  Dinner was all on schedule until we had 2 extra for dinner and my oldest announced at 6 pm that she needed to be at the cinema for 6.45pm, 7pm at the latest.  So I had to rush dinner onto the table.  My crispy roast potatoes were slightly soggy as they needed another 15 mins to crisp up and I had to make fishfingers at the last minute as I wasn't sure how mackerel with a spicy topping was going to go down.  It was more successful than I expected, although all the fishfingers got eaten too!  Great fish at a great price (€10 for 5 mackerel) from Rene Cusack's in Limerick.  Plus they let my daughter and her friend stroke a live lobster.  Not sure what message that sends.

This week's menu:

Saturday: Chicken and Rice (used leftover chicken from the roast for this)

Sunday: Boiled Ham, Finnish Garlic Potatoes and Vegetables, Banana Bread, Curried Bean Mix for Wraps (packed lunches)

Monday: Leek and Potato Soup with Spelt Rolls

Tuesday: Macaroni Cheese with Peas and Bacon

Wednesday: Sheperds Pie, Fruity Biscuits

Thursday: Omlette, Riccardo's Bread and Salad

Friday:Mackerel with Spicy Topping , Roasted, Spicy Potatoes and Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment